I think you all know by now I’m a big fan of Sports Philosophy and what they are doing, so I thought why not get Stella Heng, Creative Director of SP to cotribute to the health and fitness season, she has given us some tips, and a recipe. SO get to the gym, then GET IN MY BELLY*.
*One for the Austin Powers fans there.
#MySportsPhilosophy is taking small steps at a time to reach your BIG goal. With so much advice and information on health and fitness through social media, it can be very overwhelming and difficult to figure out where to even begin! So our philosophy is to make little changes in our everyday routines to create a sustainable lifestyle. Here are our top tips:
- Introduce exercise into your life without even realising it. Simple things such as walking to work for 20-30 minutes instead of taking the bus makes a huge difference. A morning walk will help to boost your metabolism, reduce naughty cravings, burn calories, and make you feel happy and accomplished. If it’s too far to walk, do the same with taking the stairs instead of a lift! And if you’re feeling super keen, why not grab a friend for a fun workout session. Sports Philosophy hosts a range of fitness events all year, so why not try them out! If you don’t have a buddy, you’ll be sure to leave with some! J
- We love food and hate fad diets – the key to living a healthy lifestyle, from our point of view, is to maintain a sustainable diet, which is all about balance and moderation. To start with, reduce or cut out processed food from your diet, such as refined sugars, white bread, white rice, ready-made sauces, etc. There are so many ways to replace them from brown rice and wholemeal bread to honey or agave nectar. Start for example with breakfast – you can simply make your own granola, instead of shop-bought ones that are full of sugar. We’ve included a simple recipe below. And change your snacks from cookies to nuts, vegetable sticks or fresh fruits.
- Have fun while doing it! Being healthy and fit shouldn’t be a chore, or we’ll never stick to it. So our best bet is to be creative and fun with it. If you have a sweet tooth, bake with healthier substitutes and if you enjoy having a drink over the weekend, do it! A couple of cocktails once in a while won’t hurt!
Homemade Granola Recipe
Ingredients for around 7 servings:
- 300g Rolled Oats
- 50g Sunflower Seeds
- 50g Pumpkin Seeds
- 50g Almond Flakes
- 2 tbsp melted Coconut Oil
- 4 tbsp Honey/Agave Nectar/Maple Syrup
- 100g Dried Fruits (e.g. cranberries, blueberries, sultanas)
How to make it:
- Put oven on 150c/fan or lower if you are patient.
- In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients except the dried fruits.
- Add the melted coconut oil, mix. Then add the honey or agave nectar or maple syrup.
- Place on baking paper on baking tray and spread out thinly.
- Put it in the oven for 15 minutes. Take out, mix in the dried fruits and bake again for another 15 minutes. (If you have put on lower heat, leave for slightly longer)
- Leave to cool and serve, or store in an airtight container for up to a month!
We hope you enjoy these tips to get you fit and healthy in no time! xx